Six hours automatically double-count in both degrees; and nine more hours also double-count if the right courses are selected. In sum: only 15 hours beyond the TEDS MA in Ministry degree are required in order to earn the MA-Bioethics degree as well.
Students in the MA in Ministry (MA in Min) degree program can add an MA in Bioethics (MA/BE) degree without substantially lengthening their stay at Trinity. There is a rapidly growing need in the church for leadership to address bioethical challenges in the lives of individuals, families, communities, and the larger world. Such leaders ideally need more theological preparation than a bioethics degree alone can provide, and they need more training in bioethics than the MA in Min degree can provide. Moreover, there is a societal movement toward requiring a credential, such as a bioethics Master’s degree, for individuals involved in bioethical decision making in health care (including chaplains and pastors), public policy, education, and other public arenas. In light of Trinity’s global leadership role in bioethics, the ability of students to add the MA/BE degree/credential to their MA in Min degree is an attractive option for Trinity students.
- Only 15 hours of master’s-level coursework in bioethics beyond the MA in Min are required.
- Students can participate in the May Commencement for both degrees at the end of their final TEDS year (assuming no more than 6 BE hours remain to be completed in the summer that follows).
- The capstone course in the MA in Min degree program will fulfill the capstone requirement for the MA/BE degree as well, as long as bioethical issues play a significant role in it (as certified to the Records Office by the professor overseeing the course).
- MA in Min students will not need to take BE 5001 and BE 5002 in their MA/BE program; and they should take PR 7220 as part of their Theological Studies requirement for the MA in Min degree.
- Students should take enough BE course hours as electives in their MA in Min degree program that those hours plus the hours earned for their bioethics-related capstone course total 6 hours.
- If 6 such hours–or PR 7220–are not completed in the MA in Min degree program, then the missing hours must be added to the 15 hours needed to complete the MA/BE degree.
- The following courses must be taken either within the MA in Min degree program or as part of the additional 15 BE hours for the MA/BE degree program: